The traditions of the Highwood Fire Department extend back to 1898 when it was chartered as the Fort Sheridan Fire Department. Our name was changed to the Highwood Volunteer Fire Department in 1902. Many years of heroism ensued as the volunteers provided service to Highwood and the surrounding cities. The Department moved to its current building in 1952.
The Department became a full-time organization in 1980, but retains the same spirit of professionalism, cooperation and dedication embodied by the volunteers for over 80 years.
Headed by Deputy Chief Ron Pieri, the Department employs seven full-time Firefighter/Paramedics and several part-time employees to provide emergency response to fire and medical alarms in the City. The primary fire apparatus is a 2002 Smeal quint. It is equipped with a 75’ aerial ladder, a 2000 gallon per minute fire pump, hose, ground ladders, rescue tools and a full complement of paramedic equipment and supplies.
The Department also utilizes a 2006 Horton ambulance for emergency medical service, and has a rebuilt 1987 E-One pumper in reserve.
The Insurance Service Organization (ISO) rates fire departments based on available water supply, communication systems and fire fighting capabilities. A rating of 1 indicates the lowest risk of structural damage due to fire; a rating of 10 indicates the highest risk. Currently the Highwood Fire Department holds an ISO Class 4. The fire department is continually making changes and improvements each year to lower its ISO Class rating.